Teaching Academy for Part-Time Faculty
March 6th, 2023 - March 7th, 2023 | 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m
Event Type: Special Event
Facilitator: Mandy McGrew
The Teaching Academy for Part-time Faculty is a two-day learning event facilitated online and offered during spring break each year. The academy is designed to introduce faculty members who teach part-time to research on how people learn and to teaching strategies found to foster deep learning in our students.
This virtual experience includes both synchronous meetings (everyone logged in at the same time) and asynchronous sessions (time to work on your own off-line). The academy requires attendees to participate in group discussion board conversations and personal reflection exercises. There will also be activities to help you apply the theories and research to your own courses.
Some of the topics discussed will include:
- How prior knowledge influences learning
- How humans process information and organize knowledge
- Motivation and the role it plays in student learning
- The function of practice and feedback
- How student development impacts learning
- The importance of course and classroom climate
- Metacognition and self-directed learning
Please ensure that you are available to participate fully on March 6 and 7, 2023.
Monday, March 6
8:00am – 10:00am Opening Session (everyone must attend this online synchronous session)
10:00am – 4:30pm Asynchronous Work Time
4:30pm – 5:00pm Closing Session (synchronous check-in)
Tuesday, March 7
8:00am – 9:00am Day 2 Opening Session (synchronous check-in)
9:00am – 3:30pm Asynchronous Work Time
3:30pm-5:00pm Closing Session (synchronous)
Friday, February 3, 2023 - 5:00pm
Upon completion each Academy participant will receive $750 additional pay.
Funding is competitive and applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- teaching philosophy
- motivation to attend
- foreseeable gains in the applicant's teaching practice.
All currently active part-time KSU faculty who have not previously attended/participated. Must be able to participate virtually on Mon. March 6th and Tue. March 7th from 8am to 5pm.
Selection and Application Process
The Faculty Development Committee reviews applications as part of a competitive application process. A limited number of participants are selected on the basis of their teaching philosophy, their motivation to attend, and the foreseeable gains in their teaching practice. Accepted applicants will be sent instructions for joining and participating in the academy one week prior to the event.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure a completed application is submitted by the deadline.
- Complete the PT Teaching Academy payroll amendment form. The form is already filled out with the necessary payment information.
- Fill in the information at the top of the form (name, department, KSU ID)
- Sign as the faculty member at the bottom.
- Obtain the Director/Dept Head signature.
(Use DocuSign to obtain signatures electronically.)
- Fill out the required fields in the webform below.
- Upload your completed PT Teaching Academy Payroll Amendment with your signature and your Director/Dept Head's signature. Forms without these
2 signatures will not be considered.
- Click “Submit” when you are ready to submit your application.
If you do not receive the confirmation e-mail, please contact email@example.com. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the completed application was received by the deadline.
Back to Faculty Funding