Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Conference Travel Funds Program
CETL Scholarly Teaching will sponsor a limited amount of travel funding for faculty whose Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) has been accepted for presentation at disciplinary or interdisciplinary conferences.
Highest priority is given to those projects that adhere to good practices for SoTL (Felten, 2013).
CETL defines SoTL as:
systematic inquiry into student learning and/or one’s own teaching practices in higher education which involves methodologically sound application of appropriate research methods, peer review, and distribution as scholarly work.
Use the dates of travel below to determine which application deadline to use. Early applications cannot be considered. The application will close at 11:59 p.m. on each application deadline date. Due to fiscal year constraints, funding will not be available for travel dates of June 21 through September 30, 2023.
Application DeadlineDates of Travel
October 10, 2022November 1, 2022 – January 31, 2023
January 9, 2023February 1 – March 31, 2023
March 6, 2023April 1 – June 20, 2023
An applicant can apply for travel funds for up to $1,000.
To be considered, applicants must provide proof of their acceptance to present at
the conference. Travel funds are not retroactive and are applicable only to conferences
that happen within the dates listed in the Application Deadlines section.
Highest priority for funding is given to:
- Proposals that represent original SoTL research as defined above. SoTL projects may use quantitative or qualitative approaches appropriate to the discipline but must adhere to IRB guidelines for research involving human participants;
- Proposals for conferences that are international or national in scope;
- Faculty who are serving as lead author on the proposal;
- Faculty who have not recently received SoTL Travel Funds. This criterion will go into effect beginning in spring 2023.
Proposals from faculty who are not the lead author on the session, have recently received travel funds, or for those who are presenting teaching-related sessions that do not adhere to the definition of SoTL above will be considered but will receive lower priority for funding.
Selection and Notification Process
All applications will be reviewed by the Faculty Development Committee with support from the CETL Associate Director for SoTL. An evaluation rubric will be used for determining rank order of funding. In the case of equal scores, proposals will be ranked in the order in which they were received. Applicants will be notified of a decision within ten days after the application deadline.
All KSU faculty members with active faculty status are eligible for funding. If funding is provided, it is the faculty member's responsibility to ensure they remain eligible both during the dates of travel and when submitting the Concur expense report.
- Download the SoTL Conference Travel Funds Program Application.
- Complete the application.
- Add your proof of acceptance (e.g., letter/email from conference coordinator) to create a single PDF containing both the form and proof of acceptance.
- Sign the application and obtain your immediate supervisor’s signature (Chair/Director or Dean). Please use DocuSign to obtain signatures electronically.
- Complete the required fields in the webform below.
- Upload the single PDF containing the signed application with proof of acceptance and submit the webform below.
Incomplete applications will not be considered (missing documents or required signatures).
You will receive an e-mail confirmation upon receipt. If you do not receive the confirmation e-mail, please contact CETL at email@example.com. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the proposal was received by the deadline.
Felten, P. (2013). Principles of good practice in SoTL. Teaching and Learning Inquiry,1(1), 121–125. https://doi.org/10.20343/teachlearninqu.1.1.121